Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I went to one of my good friend's baby shower over the weekend. One thing she said got me thinking. She mentioned that her best friend had recently stopped returning her calls and texts and she couldn't figure out why.

I suddenly flashed back to around four years ago when I was pregnant with my first child, Ceili. Some of my childless friends suddenly stopped calling me and inviting me out. Once she was born, only a couple stuck around. At first I was really upset and wondered why, but then I decided to stop questioning, get on with my life and concentrate on the good friends I did have.

I'm not sure why people who don't have kids do this, hearing my friend say this made me sad for her because I know how she feels. I think the reason alot of childless people cut all ties to people with children is that they feel they can no longer relate to the new parent. Little do they know it hurts the other person and makes them feel alienated from their usual world.

The advice I gave her was to try not to worry about it and just spend time with the friends and family that stand by you. Obviously people who do this to their friends weren't really your friend in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment